February 11, 2014 Meeting
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
The Enchanted Woodturner’s of Santa Fe
meet monthly, the second Tuesday, 6-8 PM,
click this link for Google Directions:
Nancy Rodriquez Community Center
The demonstration for this month is by President Alan Becker. He will show the turning of a simple wooden box.
DIRECTIONS For A Simple Box Making with Dry End Grain Wood
* Side grain distorts to oval
Dimensions: 3x3x3 or longer
Turn between centers to cylinder. Use TAIL STOCK end for top or use Steb Centers
Cut top from bottom.
Proportions: Golden Rule/ Ray Key= 1132/3
Use thin kerf parting tool or bandsaw
Start with the TOP FIRST!!
1. Bulk removal; use bowl gouge
2. Clean up cut use smaller gouger, ring tool or scraper
3. Finish! sand bottom oflid.
NOTE: Recess is NOT cut at this stage!!!! Want to keep recess precise. No sanding!
4. Cut recess.
Lower Half- KEY IS PATIENCE!!!
No need to clean end.
1. Measure opening for tenon.
2. Use caliper and dividers.
3. Use parting tool to line.
Trial and error- sneak up on final dimensions
Two types of fit. Woodturners and Ladies.
4. Tight fit for now (woodturners)
Important: How to get top off before final fit-Rough shape bottom.
5. Get tenon length precise.
6. Match top/ bottom curve to lid
Shear scrape to match curves
7. Attach top and finish shape.
DO NOT SAND!!!! Heat will shrink top and won’t fit.
8. Hollow bottom
9. Sand inside
10. Shape outside to bottom as much as possible.
11. Put lid on and sand lid.
12. Seal and wax lid and outside
13. Remove lid, reverse bottom into Jam Chuck
14. Finish bottom
15. Seal and wax