Todd and Hayley Workshops
June 8 – and 9 2019, also an extensive demo on Monday June 10!
What an exciting event we will be having in June!!
Contact Dean Johnson or reach us through our contact form here on the website, or email to SFTurners@gmail.com for more info!
Demo Description and images for Todd Hoyer
Another Winged Form (Saturday hands-on workshop)
There is another way to turn a natural edge winged form using a whole log. This demonstration will show how. Hands-on participants will turn one!
Vessel Orientation (Sunday hands-on workshop)
How to orient a vessel within a log and visualize its grain pattern is the emphasis of this session. Open and closed forms will be discussed with a handout available to the members
Turning a Winged Form (Monday meeting demo)
Tools and materials needed for each participant – BYOhollowing tools bowl gouges parting tools
- 4” – 5” dia. logs or branches (green) approximately 16” long for each participant
- 2 to 2 1/2” square X 6” long to turn for extension in chuck to finish bottom of form
Workshop with Haley:
Class Participant Tools & Material recommendations
- Flat stock wood to use as sample boards. Whatever you normally work with and want to experiment with.
- project piece to experiment with or discuss
- Ash, Oak — ring porous woods to turn and burn
- Power rotary too, dremel and felxible shaft or Foredom
- Round burrs, cup burrs — whatever you have!
- Pencil Blowtorch handset and propane canister
- Artist brushes, flat and round
- Abrasives and wire wool /white pads
- Steel Ruler
- Veneer Calipers
- 2 Wire brush file cards
- Craft knives
- Masking tape
- Eye protection and leather gloves